Over time, a lack of bone-health supporting nutrients can contribute to a bone-weakening disease called osteoporosis. That’s why it is essential to look after your bone health, as the discomfort and inconvenience of managing a bone fracture are not fun.
Fortunately, there are many ways to reduce the risk. Weight-bearing exercises, limiting or avoiding alcohol intake and a bone health-supporting, nutrient-rich diet, are all evidence-based methods to help keep your bones healthy.
Read on to learn five dietitian-recommended snacks to support your bone health.
What Are the Best Nutrients for Bone Health
Calcium plays a pivotal role in bone health, in addition to the following:
- Vitamins C, D, A, and K
- Omega-3 fatty acids
A diet rich in nutrient-dense fruit, vegetables, seafood, nuts, whole grains, low-fat dairy, and legumes will fuel your body with essential nutrients. As well as limiting your intake of added sugars, limiting or avoiding caffeine and alcohol can also have a positive effect on bone health.
Bone Enhancing Snacks
Here are five great snacks to consider when you need a little something to relieve your hunger and give your body some bone health-enhancing nutrition:
- Prunes: These are not only great for gut health, but eating them consistently has been connected to positive bone health results.
- 100% orange juice frozen pops: Orange juice is an excellent source of vitamin C. In addition to supporting immune health, it’s just what the body ordered for bone and cartilage formation.
- Cottage cheese and fruit: Cottage cheese is a good source of protein and calcium and is essential for bone health. Mixing it with fruit makes it a more well-rounded meal.
- Sardine and avocado toast: This satisfying snack contains healthy fats that may support healthy bones.
- Roasted Soybeans: The isoflavones chemical in soy-containing foods has a similar structure and function to estrogen. It has been found to support bone formation while preventing bone breakdown.
Eat Your Way to Healthier Bones
Dietitians advise that the nutrients you need for excellent bone health are found in eating balanced and healthy meals. Health professionals also highly recommend keeping your bones in tip-top shape by participating in weight-bearing exercises, avoiding smoking, and limiting alcohol.